By Chef Mario
- 2 pounds small firm eggplants
- 5 tbs. for cooking and additional olive oil for garnish
- 2 small onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- Smoke paprika for garnish
- Greek yogurt to garnish
- A splash of vinegar or lemon juice to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the eggplants on a baking sheet under hot broiler, and cook them until the entire skin of the eggplant blackened (Use a pair of large tongs and a kitchen towel.) Set aside to cool, then remove and discard skins and roughly chop eggplant flesh.
Meanwhile, put 5 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stainless pan. Add the sliced onion and the garlic, season to taste, stir and cook until slightly softened at medium high heat. Lower the heat to low, place a lid on top and sweat the onion for an additional 30 minutes. Turn up the heat to medium and add the reserved eggplant and cook 5 minute more, then add water and bring to a brisk simmer. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice. Taste and correct for seasoning.
Purée soup in batches in blender. With a ladle, spoon the soup into a slightly warmed bowl. Garnish with Greek yogurt, a pinch of smoked paprika and olive oil. Serve at once.